Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Title: The Vampire Lestat
Author: Anne Rice
Narrator: Frank Muller
Publication Date: 1985
Length: approx. 23 hours (audiobook)

I've read this book twice before, but this was my first time listening to the audiobook. I must say, I did not remember so much of this book being one very long series of philosophical discussions. Repetitive philosophical discussions. Lestat's all "but what's up with this good and evil stuff?"... and that's pretty much what's happening for like half the book.

That being said, this book still has a great story. And the philosophy never bothered me before, so maybe it's the audio format again? Maybe I did some skimming when I read the book. Anywho, once you've read Interview With the Vampire, it's important that you read The Vampire Lestat, so you don't spend the rest of your life seeing Lestat from Louis' point of view. In this book, you finally get to know Lestat's backstory. Also, Gabrielle is in it, which is reason enough to read it. Also Marius. I could read a whole series just about those two.

As for the audiobook format, it was the same narrator as for Interview With the Vampire, so see my review of that for more details. Basically, he has a great voice, and I have only the same minor quibbles as before (primarily Louis being pronounced incorrectly).

This one gets 3 stars (even though when I read this book a couple years ago I gave it 5 stars...) because of the repetitive philosophical discussions. Still required reading for a Vampire Chronicles fan, though!

This book counts for the 2012 A-Z Book Challenge and the 2012 Anne Rice Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment